Our 2019 experiential workshop will offer an immersive Balint Group experience.
We invite clinicians interested in participating in and learning more about Balint groups to consider joining us. We welcome trainee GPs, GPs and other specialists, psychiatrists, analysts, psychotherapists, nurses, medical educators, psychologists, social workers, and other professionals who work closely with the emotional lives of others.
The BSANZ was founded in 2005. Its name acknowledges psychoanalysts Michael Balint, trained as a psychiatrist, and his wife Enid Balint, originally a social worker, who developed this ground breaking method for studying the clinical relationship. A Balint group is a form of reflective practice, an experiential, small group activity, where practitioners discuss cases from their own work with a focus on the relationship between practitioner and patient or client. We work to develop an atmosphere of trust and acceptance in the group where group members are supported to present their challenging or troubling encounters. Balint work discourages questioning, advising, interruptions and criticism.
The benefits to practising GPs and other practitioners in a variety of professions is well recognised. Indeed, for over a decade our annual workshops have been fully subscribed.
As they experience Balint groups, participants can discover new ways of thinking about and addressing difficult encounters in their practice, build relationships with colleagues who are interested in this work, and learn about Balint groups and leadership.
While not sufficient on its own, attendance at this workshop will fulfil one of the requirements for the BSANZ Balint Leadership Accreditation Pathway.
One group – the Case Group – will focus on cases, and include some reflection on the group experience. This group would appeal to participants new to the Balint experience, and to those who may not wish to co-lead a session with a Group Leader.
Two Leadership Groups will offer participants the opportunity to co-lead their group with a Group Leader. Reflection and discussion of leadership will follow each case presentation. Leadership groups would suit people who have some Balint group experience, or who are currently leading groups, including those who are on the BSANZ Balint Leadership Accreditation Pathway.
Most of the work will take place in small ongoing groups with experienced Group Leaders. The membership of each small group will remain constant. As well as these small groups, the programme includes large group discussions, social activities, and some free time.
- Thursday, 17th October to Sunday 20th October 2019
- Please arrive by 12 noon on Thursday 17th October.
- The workshop will conclude on Sunday 20th at 3 pm.
Mantra Southbank, 31 City Rd, Melbourne, Victoria
- All participants must be current financial members of BSANZ. Registration fee for non-members includes BSANZ membership fee for 1 year.
- Please do not make travel arrangements until your place at the Workshop has been confirmed by BSANZ.
- Please ensure your travel arrangements enable your attendance at the entire workshop from 12 noon Thursday 17th until 3pm on Sunday 20th October. A commitment to this by all attendees is essential.
- N.B: Travel time from Tullamarine Airport is approximately 30 minutes; travel time from Avalon Airport is approximately 1 hour.
- Intensive Balint group experience can stir up strong feelings. We recommend that if you are at a vulnerable time in your life, you may wish to consider attending another Intensive at a later date.
- Participants will be allocated to groups with regard to composition and optimising the experience offered.
- The BSANZ holds final decision making on participants for its workshops.
- Once registration is confirmed we will provide a special conference booking code for the Mantra if that is where you wish to stay. Mantra offers a discount based on the rate at time of booking.
Current BSANZ Members
- A$1,300 – BSANZ financial Members in Australia & New Zealand
Non-members in Australia & New Zealand
- A$1,470* – for payments prior to 1 July 2019
- A$1,500* – for payment received from 1 July 2019
*includes BSANZ Membership fee for 1 year
Registration fee covers attendance at the Intensive, lunches, morning and afternoon teas and two evening meals. The fee does not include accommodation or breakfast.
Our Cancellation Policy
For a cancellation received prior to 2nd September, a refund of the full fee (less a A$50 administration fee) will be paid. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer a refund for cancellations received on or after 2nd September.
Once all places have been filled, we will keep a waiting list of people interested in attending.
For all enquiries about this Intensive please contact Anne Malecki by email at the BSANZ office: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Balint Society Bursaries
Once again, the BSANZ is offering bursaries for two medical students to attend the Intensive. This will be by invitation in 2019.
Payment will need to be made once your registration has been confirmed. Bank Account details will be advised separately.
At the time of registration it is important that participants indicate preference for group allocation:
Case group / Leadership group / Either
While we will endeavour to place people in their preferred group type, we cannot guarantee it.
Continuing Education Credits
Australian Medical Practitioners may apply to RACGP for 21 hours of CPD points. New Zealand General Practitioners may apply to RNZCGP for 17 hours of CME points. All participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance.
Partners are welcome to join us for dinner on Saturday night. Cost will be advised closer to the date.
Details of accommodation and how to book will be provided, along with the Mantra discount code for this event.
Please delay arranging accommodation and travel until your registration has been confirmed.
Chel Quinn, Social Worker and Psychotherapist, Brisbane
Di Nash – General Practitioner, Auckland
Frank Meumann – General Practitioner and Medical Educator, Hobart
Hilary Ash – Social Worker and Couples Counsellor, Melbourne
Joy Humphries – Psychoanalytic Organisational Consultant, Melbourne
Laurie Lovell-Simons – Social Worker and Psychotherapist, Sydney
Renske van den Brink – General Practitioner, Counsellor and Medical Educator, Auckland
Hilary Ash (chair), Chel Quinn, Di Nash, Michael Fitzgerald, Robyn Miller, Ruth Dunn
Next Intensive Workshop
Our next workshop of this kind is planned for 2021.
Thursday 17th October
12:00 PM Registration and Lunch
1:30 PM – 5:00 PM Opening Plenary, Large group, Afternoon Tea and small Group work.
7:30 PM Dinner
Friday 18th October
Morning and Afternoon Group work until 4.30pm.
Followed by free time and own arrangements for dinner.
Saturday 19th October
Free time from 3pm.
7:30 PM Event Dinner
Sunday 20th October
Group work and closing Plenary.